Written by Katie Turcio-Canales, Marketing Intern
Summer is finally here! No matter how old we are, there is just something so exciting in the anticipation of summer. When we are younger, summer simply means a vacation from school, being able to sleep in, going to bed late, hanging out with friends, not having to do homework, and everyday feeling like its Saturday morning. Those were simple times.
As you get older life tends to become expensive and summer isn’t what it used to be. Let’s face it, nothing make you feel worse than scrolling on your phone to see amazing pictures of your friends on summer vacation trips while you are stuck at home or even at work.
If MTV has taught us anything it is that college years are our memory making years. Problem is MTV doesn’t take into account bills, car payments, school payments, and all the other responsibilities that come with entering the real world (no pun intended). No need to feel blue, it is summer time after all. You can still have a ton a fun this summer without having to spend all your savings. Let’s go on a staycation this year!!
Here are some fun summer ideas to ensure you having an amazing time this summer:
- Try Geocaching – “Geocaching is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location.” Get more information here, or find local Geocaching groups at the official Geocaching website.
- Tour a Local Factory or Brewery – Is there a large manufacturing facility near your town or city? Most offer tours and even samples of their goods. Click here to find a local brewery near you.
- Go Berry Picking – Instead of picking up your berries this summer at the grocery store or your local farmer’s markets, how about picking them off the bushes yourself? One of the best ways to enjoy berries is to pick-your-own where you simply pay for the cost of a pint and fill them up with the season’s best fruits. Click here to find a local pick-your-own farm.
- Go Paddleboarding or Canoeing – If there is a river, lake, or ocean nearby; chances are pretty good there is also a paddleboard or canoe/kayak rental facility nearby as well. Both are a fun way to enjoy the water and test your skills.
- Go Tubing – Tubing combines the two things summer is all about, enjoying the outdoors and being by the water. It’s relatively inexpensive and you can do it with a small or large group of people. So why not call up your friends from school or friends back home and go on a little adventure. Click here for a river tubing location near you.
- Find a Local Festival – Check your local newspaper or chamber of commerce website to find out what is happening in your town or towns nearby the week of your Staycation. Depending where you live there are often events/festivals happening almost every weekend!
- Go to a local National park – You don’t have to go camping at a national park, but it always makes for a good day trip. You can plan to go on fee-free days so you don’t have to pay the entrance fee. But the fees are generally affordable and can cost around $10 per person if you decide to go on a regular day.
- Beach Day – Nothing says summer more than listening to the waves crashing along the beach while conversing and joking with your friends. Being at the beach is just the getaway you need to say bye to the winter blues and any other stress. The beach is always a good choice because there are plenty of activities you can do, such as building sand castles, picnics, playing volleyball, or flying a kite. Some beaches even let you dig for clams, which you can bake for a yummy meal!
Related Blog Posts
- Let’s Throw a Graduation Party!
- Preparing for College Financially
- How Do College Students Stay Active in the Summer?
Other Related Articles
- Top 10 staycation ideas for college students in need of R&R
- Plan a staycation during your summer break
- 50 Ways to Stay Entertained Over a College Summer
- 25 Inexpensive (or Free) Ways to Cure Summer Boredom
- 100 Ways To Get Unbored This Summer!
- 50 Things To Do The Summer Before You Go To College
- Top 10 Summer Adventures
- 10 Summer Activities That Look Good on College Applications