National Student Day (NSD) is back for its third year on October 3rd, 2013. This day is set aside to celebrate and acknowledge college students who volunteer and students who are socially responsible in their communities. College bookstores around the USA and Canada come together on this one day to recognize their achievement and also to thank them!
Church Hill Classics is celebrating National Student Day on October 3rd by offering free shipping on all diplomaframe.com orders. Make sure to use the discount code NSD2013 in the SPC field (if available) at checkout.
This year, there are more than 1,794 college bookstores participating in NSD. Search the list of participating college bookstores to find your school. Be sure to mark your calendar to stop by your campus bookstore on October 3rd for NSD.
Submit your story about your generosity with others by October 17th to be entered into the contest. NSD is awarding three scholarships of $3,000, $2,000, and $1,000 to the three most voted stories. Twelve students will be selected at random to win an iPad mini. The story submissions and voting has already begun.
Watch this short 1 minute video about National Student Day!
Smart Facts on Volunteering
Mahatma Gandhi said, “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” To relate this quote to volunteering and being socially responsible, Gandhi felt the best way to be yourself was to be selfless and focus on something other than ourselves. When people volunteer their time they learn about others and ultimately themselves.
There are millions of people who volunteer their free time to help their communities. Others support a great cause. Find out what organizations college students prefer to volunteer for. Is there an organization you like that isn’t included in the list? Take a look at the statistics below related to volunteering. Pretty impressive, right?
- In 2011, the highest number of volunteers, 64.3 million Americans, volunteered with an organization – from Volunteering and Civic Life in America 2012 Fact Sheet
- Two out of three people (65.1% or 143.7 million citizens) help their neighbors out – from Volunteering and Civic Life in America 2012 Fact Sheet
- The Harvard Institute of Politics 2013 survey stated that 34% of Americans between the age of 18-29 participate in community service.
- The top five states for volunteering are Utah (40.9% of the state’s population), Idaho (38.8% of the state’s population), Iowa (38.4% of the state’s population), Minnesota (38.0% of the state’s population) and South Dakota (36.8% of the state’s population).
- The top five states in which residents do the most favors for their neighbors are Utah (76.7% of the state’s population), West Virginia (74.5% of the state’s population), New Hampshire (74% of the state’s population), Montana (73.2% of the state’s population) and Vermont and Iowa tied at 73% of the state’s population.
An Offer for You
With your calendars marked, you are ready to celebrate NSD on October 3rd. In the past, bookstores hosted food drives, concerts, giveaways, and more! Take a look at some of the bookstores’ photos.
Remember, when making online purchases on diplomaframe.com on National Student Day, October 3rd, you will get free shipping. Use the discount code NSD2013 in the SPC field.
Other Related Blog Posts:
- Calling all Student Volunteers! October 4th is National Student Day!
- Students have Endless Volunteer Opportunities – Celebrate National Student Day 2012
- College Students Nationwide Work at Recycling – Well Before Earth Day
- Extracurricular Activities Can Help Your Resume
- London 2012 Olympics – “Inspire a Generation”
- National Service Time – History of National Service
- Fast Facts about the Peace Corps
- Will the AmeriCorps Graduates Please Stand Up? – Service Nation
- Volunteer Service Fact Sheet – Volunteers of America
- 10 Facts About Youth Service – Youth Service America
- College Student Volunteer Rates – View by States
- Volunteering and Civic Life in American 2012
- The DoSomething.org Index on Young People and Volunteering 2012