If you just recently graduated from college this past May, hopefully you have found your first entry level position, or you are busy on the search for that “perfect” job to jumpstart your career. What a big adjustment though. Now you must get used to a regular workweek.
The weekend no longer starts on Thursday; you can’t sleep in on a Tuesday because the only thing on the agenda for the day is one class at 12:30; and even more shocking, is that you probably shouldn’t stay out partying with your friends next door until 3 in the morning on a week night, and then head off to McDonald’s or the nearest diner at 4 am. I know it all sounds too familiar. Sorry to break the bad news…but another disappointment is that you can’t come to work in your pajamas, no matter how many times you went to early morning classes in them. Trust me, it won’t fly with your new boss.
If you are going to survive in the workforce, you quickly learn that these college lifestyle schedules will not work with your Monday – Friday, 8-5. (If you are lucky, you might be able to stretch it until 8:30 or 9…but I would bet it won’t get much later than that).
If it sounds like I’m talking about YOU specifically, you may want to check out some funny excuses for falling asleep on the job, from the website www.pinetree.net/humor. If the adjustment into the workforce ends up being a little harder than you thought, and you find it is necessary to take a little power nap…here are some of the best excuses if you get caught sleeping in your office cubicle!!!
• “It’s okay: I’m still billing the client.”
• “This is just a 15-minute power nap like they raved about in that time-management course you sent me to.”
• “I was working smarter, not harder.”
• “Whew! I must a left the top off the liquid paper.”
• “I wasn’t sleeping! I was meditating on the mission statement and envisioning a new paradigm!”
• “This is one of the seven habits of highly effective people!”
• “I was testing my keyboard for drool resistance.”
• “Do you discriminate against people who practice Yoga?”
• “Darnn! Why did you interrupt me? I had almost figured out a solution to our biggest problem.”
• “The coffee machine is broken.”
• “Someone must’ve put decaf in the wrong pot.”
• “Boy, that cold medicine I took last night just won’t wear off!”
• “Geez, I thought you were gone for the day.”
If you have any other great excuses, please share!! And funny office and work stories are welcome as well!
For more office humor, check out some of these websites: