Your wedding dress may be one of the most sentimental and treasured items you’ll ever want to preserve and keep for generations to come. After the amount of time it takes to find the perfect dress and the memories you have wearing the dress on your special wedding day, you’ll most likely want to cherish this special gown.
Consider framing your wedding dress in a beautiful shadow box. This will preserve the dress, keep it safe from harmful light or dust, and allow you to pass your dress on to future generations.
- Decide how many items you want to frame. Will you include your veil, shoes, and purse? After you know exactly what you want to frame, decide how you want to arrange the gown and accessories. Do you want the dress folded to emphasize special beading on the top of the gown? Or, do you want to allow the dress to hang down to its full length?
- When deciding on a shadow box, make sure the glass and materials will protect your gown. Do not choose a box that allows ultraviolet light, radiation, or heat into the box. This type of lighting could damage the color of the material and distort the gown’s original context.
- Never use tissue paper, boxes, or plastic bags that contain acid to store your wedding gown. The acid in these types of materials can stain the dress and damage the material beyond repair.
- Expect to use a large amount of materials to hold floor-length wedding gowns and accessories. On average, the shadow box for a floor-length wedding gown is approximately 40″ by 84.”
- Even though a display box must use safe materials for your wedding gown, it must also be attractive and showcase the gown beautifully. You do not want the moulding or glass taking away from the beauty of the gown.
Materials to Create a Shadow Box Frame
Consider the following materials for a safe and classic look for your shadow box frame:
- Moulding – A gold frame with a light metallic finish will make the frame look classy. Framing4Yourself has many options for gold mouldings.
- Matboard – Rag Mat Museum is the best option for a wedding gown because the matboard is made of cotton. Cotton is acid-free and lignin-free and won’t harm your wedding gown. In addition to Rag Mat Museum, Crescent Cardboard offers a variety of matboard.
Where to Buy a Shadox Box Frame?
While Church Hill Classics does not currently frame wedding gowns, we found a company called Heirloom Shadow Box Co. that is an expert in shadow boxes for wedding gowns. There are two shadow boxes to choose from, the Legacy or Tradition Shadow Box. Something really neat that the company uses besides a shadow box is Heirloom Oval Mirror. For more information on these amazing products, make sure to visit their Heirloom Shadow Box Co. website.
ANOTHER KEEPSAKE IDEA
Are you looking for a perfect gift for your friend or family to remember a special event? …Then, an Autograph Frame is your answer.
There are 5 mouldings to choose from with a silver or gold engraved plate. This frame is ideal for about 25 signatures and allows your friends and family to sign a personalized message. This frame is good for many occasions – weddings, anniversaries, teacher retirement, milestone events, graduation, celebrating the end of sport seasons and other special events.