Written by Katie Turcio-Canales, Marketing Intern
Ooh la la, love is in the air, but unfortunately extra cash is not. As a college student I am used to finding ways to be savvy with my money, but that shouldn’t only apply because I am in college. Part of growing into adulthood is being financially responsible.
According to the National Retail Federation
estimates that in 2014, Valentines Day will contribute $17.3 billion to the economy. Think that number is high? Well actually, it is less than the two past years ($18.6 billion in 2013 and $17.6 billion in 2012).
That being said I don’t know about you, but I don’t have the cash to be putting into that pool of money. So, why not think a little outside the box, while showing a little love to your wallet. Here are 5 inexpensive Valentine’s Day gift and date ideas, and I promise you won’t look cheap:
- Take the time to enjoy the simple things. Wake up early with your significant other and watch the sunrise, while you enjoy breakfast together.
- Have an indoor picnic. Surprise your sweetie with their favorite food and treats along with a nice glass of wine (for those of age). Enjoy your picnic on the living room floor, and you can definitely make it special with a few lit candles and background music.
- Get a massage together. Treat you and your love to a relaxing mini mental getaway. What is better than getting pampered? Now, I know you are thinking how is this inexpensive, but with the help of Groupon, trust me you can get the best deals on spa days and massages.
Alternative: At home spa day – Deliver the gift in a basket filled with inexpensive candles, bubble bath, rose petals, facial mask and scrub. Then give your love time to enjoy it. When he or she is done, heat up towels in the dryer, for them to use for drying off.
- Be adventurous take a one-time salsa or tango-dancing lesson together. Or, identify some other interest you share and find a place to give you one-time extended lesson on Valentine’s Day.
- I love you box. Remind your sweetheart why you fell in love with them in the first place. Decorate a box and in little pieces of paper write all the things you love about them, and give it to them afterwards.
Reminder: ALL THAT MATTERS IS THAT IT COMES FROM THE HEART.
Love is in the Air - Pinterest board
How To - Cheap Valentine's Day Dates
57 Affordable Valentine's Gifts for Him
Inexpensive, Handmade Valentines Day Craft Idea
Valentine's Day Ideas: Fashion and Inexpensive Gifts
5 Inexpensive Valentine's Day Activities
10 Inexpensive Valentine's Gifts That Will Rock Her World
Valentine's Day Favorites
Blogs of Interest
Valentine's Day Decorating
Easy Holiday Shopping for your Graduate or Alumni
Dorm Room Decorating