The XXII (22nd) Winter Olympics Games are start on Friday February 7th and run until Sunday February 23rd. An estimated three billion TV viewers throughout the world will be watching the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, according to The Embassy of the Russian Federation website
With fascination about the location of the games, and the winter sports themselves, along with a variety of new events, anticipation for the 2014 Olympics has been growing.
Have you ever heard of Sochi, Russia? It is actually a pretty interesting city.
Facts about Sochi
- Longest city in Russia (92 miles)
- First time Russia will host the Winter Olympics, but the Soviet Union (USSR) hosted the 1980 Summer Olympic Games in Moscow
- Population approximately 400,000, representing 100 nationalities
- Also hosting the 2018 FIFA World Cup
- Known for its unique combination of Mediterranean and Alpine climate because of its location - on the shore of the Black Sea and at the foot of the Western Caucasus mountain region
- Over two million tourists visit Sochi each year
- According to Forbes magazine, Sochi ranked as best city to do business in Russia in 2012
2014 Winter Olympics Games
The slogan for the Sochi 2014 Olympics is Hot. Cool. Yours. According to Sochi 2014 President and CEO Dmitry Chernyshenko, the slogan is about Russia. He explained in a USA Today article
, "'Hot' indicates sports passions and the Games' venue… 'Cool' stands for the time of the year and for how Russia is perceived by the rest of the world, and 'Yours' means shorter distances and the inclusive nature of the event."
There will be 15 disciplines of the 7 winter sports:
- Bobsleigh and Skeleton
- Ice Hockey
- Skating – Figure skating, short track speed skating and speed skating
- Skiing – alpine, cross country, Nordic combined, ski jumping and freestyle and snowboard
This year is an exciting year for the Winter Olympics – There will be eight new events
happening this year.
- Biathlon Mixed Relay
- Mixed Figure Skating Team Event
- Luge Team Relay – Mixed
- Ski Halfpipe (Men’s and Women’s)
- Ski Slopestyle (Men’s and Women’s)
- Snowboard Slopestyle (Men’s and Women’s)
- Snowboard Parallel Slalom (Men’s and Women’s)
- Women’s Ski Jumping
Fun Facts about the Winter Olympic Sports
Enjoy some of exciting and noteworthy facts about the 15 Olympics sports!
- Alpine Skiing – First became part of the Winter Olympics in 1936 at Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany
- Biotholon – originated in the ancient hunting practices of northern Europe
- Bobsleigh – entered in the Winter Olympics in 1924 in Chamonix, France
- Cross-Country Skiing – first Olympic Winter Game in Chamonix, France in 1924, included men’s cross- country skiing on 18 km (about 11 miles) and 50 km (about 31 miles) courses
- Curling – originated in Scotland in the sixteenth century where it was first played in the winer on frozen ponds, marshes and lakes
- Figure skating – oldest ‘discipline’ in the Winter Olympics
- Freestyle skiing – first appeared as a demonstration event at the Calgary, Canada 1988 Olympics Winter Games
- Nordic Combined – 1924 in Chamonix, France is when it became part of the Olympic Winter games
- Ice Hockey – Origins of ice hockey is still debated but modern form of the game was taken to North America by the English
- Luge – French word for sled and historical discoveries point to the use of sleds as early as AD 800 by Vikings in the Slagen countryside near the Oslo Fjord
- Short Track Speed Skating – first introduced as a full medal sport in 1992 at Albertville, France
- Skeleton – originated from descending down the mountains in a toboggan – a wooden sleigh without runners common among Canadian Indians
- Ski Jumping – part of the Olympic program since the first winter Olympics games in Chamonix in 1924
- Snowboard – skater wear skin-tight racing suits with hoods to reduce air resistance
- Speed Skating – Men’s speed skating was first included in the Olympic Winter Games in 1924
Let us know what events you are excited to see and who is your favorite Olympics athlete.
Sochi 2014 Winter Games Facebook page
Sochi 2013 Winter Games Twitter page
15 Students and Alumni to Watch at Sochi – BuzzFeed
Proctor Ad - Thank you, Mom
Visa Olympic Inspired Vine
Sochi 2014 Olympic Logo Design
London 2012 Olympics
A College Varsity Sport That Stands Out
The Varsity Letter - The Way It Is and the Way It Was
Varsity Letter – What do to with it?
How Sports Can Prepare You For Success